Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Do vs. Done

After my last post, less than an hour ago, I started to finish up things around the house. I began to hyperventilate again. It's giving up control that's tough for me. I'll readily admit it. So, to get myself centered again, I've decided to post the tasks I've been mulling over.

To Do List
  • Call insurance to find out whether aftercare is covered. Done!
  • Get prescriptions filled in advance. Done!
  • Test the raised toilet seat. Done!
  • Pack for hospital stay. Done!
  • Print phone numbers for Jackie Gleason. (I can't use his real name without permission, so I'll call him that.)
  • Take out all the trash. (If it smells now, it'll definitely SMELL later.) Done!
  • Pet the cat and make sure he's got food and water for a few days. (I love this little guy. He's so self-sustaining.) Done!
  • Pack prescriptions in case the hospital doesn't have some of them. Done!
  • Don't take the water pill on surgery day because it may affect anesthesia.
  • Don't eat too heavily the day before surgery. 
  • Don't eat or drink or smoke anything after midnight.(I'm thirsty already.)
  • Wear my leopard bra to lighten up things. Done!
  • Bring good underwear. 
  • Put pillow cases on all pillows. (I hear there's lots of propping.) Done!
  • Bring magnifying mirror and tweezers. (All women over 35 will understand this.) Done!!
  • Set up staging area in living room. Include water, books, laptop, journal, crocheting project, telephone, Kleenex. Done!
  • Bring crutches. Done!
  • Reread the here's-all-you-need-to-know pamphlets.
  • Bring my reading glasses. Done!
  • Bring special hair conditioner because I don't want my new color to fade. 
  • Empty the dishwasher and hand wash all dishes. Done!
  • Bring the kitty litter and laundry soap downstairs. Done!
  • Wash and fold all clothes. Done!
  • Clean the kitchen floor. Kinda done!
  • Clean the shower downstairs. Done!
Oh well, that's a start. I'm feeling better already. I'm sure that'll pass if I think just a smidgen more..

“Having come to the conclusion that there was so much to do that she didn’t know where to start, Mrs Fowler decided not to start at all. She went to the library, took Diary of a Nobody from the shelves and, returning to her wicker chair under the lime tree, settled down to waste what precious hours still remained of the day.”
Richmal Crompton, Family Roundabout