Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Online Now!

Since I purchased and worked Judith Cameron's book titled "The Artist's Way," I've always believed in serendipity. Basically, for me, the more I removed personal obstacles, the more serendipitous events or miracles would come my way. "Miracles," and I'll haphazardly steal this from Wikipedia, are "beneficial events that are statistically unlikely." I'll explain a little later. Bear with me as I set up this post.

I recently watched a movie called "Jeff, Who Lives At Home." It's about a 30-something guy who lives in his mom's basement and is waiting for signs to tell him what he should do with his life. Well, one morning, he receives a wrong number from a guy looking for "Kevin." So, Jeff begins to follow any "sign" that leads him to Kevin who'll somehow let Jeff know what he's supposed to do next. I liked the idea, so I continued watching the movie. Of course, it's only a movie, but it came together nicely at the end...like a present initially wrapped in brown paper.

My friend, Jackie Gleason (I call him that because I can't use his real name, but he does tell me quite often that he's going to "send me to the moon!"), said that while I was on the mend, I should sign up for an online dating site.

I usually do this every spring anyway, and then end my subscription because I date some guy who says 1.) I look just like Carnie Wilson. 2.) I should consider bariatric surgery, like he got. 3.) He would really like it if I cooked him a homemade meal. Anyone who knows me understands that the last comment was the clincher. I don't cook for any man, unless I want to. What a total idiot. When I ended our brief relationship, he didn't understand what went wrong. Well, dumb ass, you talked too much.

Okay, okay, let me get back to lovelier thoughts. Center. Center. And calm.

I'm looking through my daily matches. There's this guy on there who's 43. He's the type I physically like...dark brown hair, great and expressive eyes. He's said several things that are quite a bit like me. Let me quote. I'm sure I'll probably be sued for this, but what the hell:

I am a good and loyal friend. I can be very sarcastic and will never shy away from a good debate. And when I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it. I am a very passionate person who has no problem expressing his feelings.
(OMG, that is so me...minus the "his.")
I'm most attracted to someone who is very confident and out going.
(Yep, I like that too without the confidence being too egotistical and the outgoing without being to salesy and markety and spasticy.)
I'm very content being single but like I said life is just better when you can share it with someone! 
(I'm so content with being single that I've been single for 45 years!)
So, what did I do? I sent him a wink. Hadn't done that to any other guy yet.

As I was going to lunch today, heading to a local Korean joint I've frequented since my 20s, I got this strong message to eat Greek food. It's like something in my head said, "No, not that, but this!" I turned my car around and drove west of the city. I was hankering for a gyro and some chili/cheese fries.

I pulled into the parking lot, opened the restaurant door, and proceeded to look at the menu...expertly written in chalk, above this young girl's head. I noticed this guy in the kitchen. I'll be damned if it wasn't the guy I'd just sent the wink to. I stepped backward a bit and shook my head. What in the hell? I mean how cool is that? Yes, he's as good looking in person. He can shave me off a piece of tender lamb any day. :-) I wanted to go up to him and say something, but I didn't. Instead, I documented the instance in my journal.

I got on the dating site this evening and he was on, so he saw my wink. I wonder whether he remembered me from today. He didn't wink back or write me, so perhaps he's not interested. Either way, I thought I'd share this little pleasant surprise with you. Because it sure made me smile today and let me know that there are strong forces at work...behind the scenes...that once in a while...will make us really believe.

When love feels like magic, you call it destiny. When destiny has a sense of humor, you call it serendipity. -- Unknown author



No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Add it here.